About My Services
I specialize in helping my clients job hunt in an authentic way, crafting cover letters and resumes as unique as they are, so they can connect with the right employers and find meaningful work.
I specialize in helping workers whose job doesn’t fit in one box anymore. Maybe they’ve taken on more job duties over time but not gotten a promotion. Maybe they have a hybrid job, or they’re a manager who wants to focus on one skill set in the next job and leave others behind. Traditional resume writing advice doesn’t help them, so together we work on a resume that highlights the best of their background.
I work nationally by phone and video (Zoom).
My career transition
For me, deadline days were the toughest. I was working as a weekly newspaper editor and I dreaded starting my day at 10 a.m. and finishing 12 hours later. I started to feel sick that day, and I suspected I had carpal tunnel. I could see burnout down the road, and what scared me the most was that I could see a future in which I had no energy to job hunt or change careers. I felt trapped. But I got help from a career coach. Now, I like Tuesdays again.
What day is your worst? Is it Mondays, with an endless meeting to kick off the week? Is it actually Friday, when you are trying to get out the door to get home for dinner with your family and people keep hitting you with last minute requests? Or does your job feel like an undertow, carrying you further from shore, further from where you thought your career would carry you, even though on paper you feel like you are right where you should be.
My path hasn’t been linear either
My career is far from linear.
Along the way I:
- Kicked off life as a comparative religion major at Carleton College in Minnesota. Despite gloomy predictions from everyone I knew, my major actually got me my first job in journalism.
- Worked a decade in newspaper reporting, editing, with some newsletter editing. (I spent two years reporting on sewage, and it was actually fun.)
- Earned a Master of Arts in Education, focusing on Community Counseling, from The George Washington University.
- Interned at the Montgomery County, Md., Commission for Women Career and Counseling Center, where I worked with individuals coping with the intense stress of divorce, homelessness, and other life pressures.
- Worked with undergrads, grads and alumni for two plus years at Georgetown University.
- Started my business in 2008, and have steadily been building a practice as I raise my two kids.
- Learned to love knitting, and other knitters. Really, anyone who works with fiber has my vote.
- Run. Slowly. Sometimes just down the block.