Career Exploration Coaching
Want to make a career change, but not sure of your options?
Get support, assistance uncovering career possibilities, and an unbiased perspective.
You Need Good Options before You Quit
You feel burned out at work and you know you need a change. Your work is taking a toll on your health — mental and physical — and your relationships. You’ve tried to research your options. The Internet is full of suggestions, your friends and family have advice, and you’ve tried to work it all out for yourself, but you’re stuck.
Maybe you have great benefits at your job, or a pension to consider, or a lot invested in your education. You don’t want to risk losing the security you’ve achieved. How can you make a career change responsibly?
It’s like you’re starving, waiting at a restaurant for the waiter to come, but no one will give you a menu.
Together, we will use assessments, exercises, targeted career research and focused discussions to help you discover and evaluate your career options. We’ll create a tailored menu for you.
Career exploration coaching is for you if:
- You find yourself daydreaming at work about other careers, and your work performance is starting to slide. You find yourself ruminating but not making a lot of progress.
- You have a hunch that you would like to try X (beekeeping, park ranger work, back-end coding for a communications firms. You’re afraid to make the leap because you’re afraid of wasting all the time and effort you put into your current career.
- You dread going back to work on Mondays, but you don’t know exactly why. You’d like to figure that out before you make a change, so you can find a career that energizes you.
- You’ve been researching your options, but there’s so much information out there! Some of it conflicts. You need a guide.
We will work together to organize what you know about yourself, and then help you learn more about the options that are tailored to you. You’ll get unstuck, and learn practical strategies for testing a career before investing in more education, certifications, or workshops.
What you’ll get:
- Pre-coaching discovery questionnaire to help you outline your biggest career concerns and career ideas.
- Private coaching sessions, each an hour long, in which we explore skills, interests, work style, and values all while taking into account financial concerns and other limitations careers that may fit better with your lifestyle goals and career dreams.
- Exercises and worksheets to help you organize your thoughts and prioritize your needs in your next career.
- Recommended reading and online resources for exploring the world of work, to save you time and energy and spare you the information overload.
- Unlimited email support between sessions, for those times when you’re stumped or need to run an idea by someone.
- Ideas about using your strengths to make a career transition, and trouble-shooting for potential obstacles.
‘She showed me that it really is a journey to find a career.’I really liked her patience and insight into careers. Meredith showed me
that it really is a journey to find a career and involves evaluating
skills, happiness, morals, values, and interests. I feel like she
taught me that a career is an extension of yourself to a degree and
you are happiest in an environment that reflects you, which helped me
be more open minded about possibilities and the potential they could
provide. I also really liked that she providing me with knowledge about
networking and most recently resume formatting and what employers are
looking for when they scan your resume, because that is going to help
me when applying to jobs.–Betsy Wagner, former client
‘She helped me immediately make my work life better in my current job.’
“After having talked to family, friends, and co-workers already, I still needed some help clarifying my goals, values, ambitions and needs. She helped me immediately make my work life better (in my current job) through understanding how to increase my energy and sense of fulfillment, while also helping me clarify what I wanted my next challenge to look like. Meredith was easy to talk to, even over the phone from across the country, and provided interesting articles, resources, and exercises between appointments. I looked forward to my time talking with her and will definitely lean on her again as I progress in my career.”
—Cal Bouchard, former VP, Digital Commerce
$120/hour session. After an initial free consultation I’m happy to give you an estimate of the number of sessions we would have for more clarity in your career. I don’t require you to commit to a certain number of sessions, however, many of my clients find clarity after 3-4 sessions.
I’m a Global Career Development Facilitator, and I just updated my training this past year. I have fresh info and ideas to share. I have over a decade of career coaching experience, including work experience at Georgetown University and Johns Hopkins Carey School of Business. Please see my “about” page for more information on my qualifications.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you prefer to work in person or by phone/online?
I see results with clients both in person and by phone/online. Some of my clients live across the country and are only able to meet online. My preference is to set up meetings that fit best with my client’s situation and schedule.
What is your coaching style or philosophy?
One of the ways I differ from some other career coaches is I don’t believe you need to have a passion to have a rewarding career. Many of my clients actually feel embarrassed that they don’t have a passion. I believe people who love their work experience ups and downs, but they have a feeling like they fit into their working world and they are making progress toward a goal. When I work with client I help them find a place where they feel like they belong. No job is perfect, but there are better fits.
Do you have evening hours?
Yes, I have both daytime and evening appointments available. I don’t work weekends, however.
What if I need to cancel?
I understand that life happens. I ask that clients give me 24 hours notice if they need to reschedule.